First L.A. Noire Trailer Released
Rockstar have just released the first trailer for its 2011 detective drama, L.A. Noire. We don’t know too much about the game, but at least the trailer gives us some sense of what the game might have in store. This is what Rockstar have told us thus far:L.A. Noir is developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar Games, L.A. Noire is a dark and violent detective thriller set against the backdrop of Los Angeles in the post-war years of the late 1940s, the most corrupt and violent period in the city’s history.
Based on groundbreaking performance capture technology that goes beyond traditional methods to render every subtlety and nuance of an actor’s facial expressions and emotions, L.A. Noire is the first game to truly explore what it means to be a detective, offering players the opportunity to solve crimes through a blend of classic action, clue-finding and interrogation, allowing players to analyze every subtle nuance of an actor’s performance in order to get to the truth.
This trailer was made entirely from in-game footageSo the question is, will L.A. Noir live up to our expectations? Will it be next year’s Red Dead Redemption? Or have Rockstar been to ambitious this time?
This is what we know so far…
- Rockstar has a proven track record (GTA, Bully, Red Dead Redemption, etc.)
- L.A. Noire is something different than what Rockstar has done before (Hardboiled detectives, not rampant free-roaming violence)
- It stars Aaron Staton, better known as Ken Cosgrove on Mad Men
- There’s some cool new tech being used to create realistic lip-synching and facial animations
- It’s coming pretty soon, maybe as early as April 2011!
So yeah, that’s not much to go on. But my gut feeling is that this is one game that will define the year. It’s not just a simple re-make or the continuation of a series. It’s fresh meat and it’s going to taste good.
What do you think?